Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 10:01 am
Washington State defeats Utah 75-65
PULLMAN, Wash. (AP) - Mike Ladd had 22 points and hit five 3-pointers to lead five Washington State players scoring in double figures in a 75-65 win against Utah on Wednesday night.
Brock Motum and Royce Woolridge added 14 points each and DaVonte Lacy and D.J Shelton 10 apiece for the Cougars (10-7, 1-3 Pac-12), who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Brandon Taylor had 13 points and Justin Seymour 11 for the Utes (8-9, 0-5).
Utah fought back from a 16-point deficit with the help of back-to-back three-point plays by Seymour to get within 47-41 with just under 10 minutes to play.
"We started the game well, hitting 3-pointers to start and then kept getting good looks, but then we started to turn the ball over in the second half, and they came back," Washington State coach Ken Bone said.
But Motum, who went scoreless in the first half, hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key and added a layup off a steal to help push the Cougars to a 60-46 advantage with six minutes remaining.
"We really needed that shot from Brock; they were coming back, and that 3 was huge. It stopped their momentum," Bone said. "Utah plays great defense, (and) I was glad we were able to keep up our shooting percentage."
Washington State shot 50 percent (24 of 48) from the field and 55 percent (11 for 20) from behind the arc.
"They (Washington State) had not been shooting well, but when they came out tonight and hit 3s at will, it was just their night," Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak said. "They made shots and we turned the ball over, and that was the game."
Washington State scored 28 points off 17 Utah turnovers.
Utah got back within 10 on 3-pointer from Jarred DuBois with 3:46 left but got no closer. The Utes shot 46 percent (23 of 50) for the game.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Shannon Drayer
M's notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- 12th Man flag to fly high above San Francisco Sunday
- The Pete Carroll Show: Praise for K.J. Wright
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »