Updated Nov 28, 2012 - 1:43 pm
Sounders to pick up option on Eddie Johnson
Hanauer spoke Tuesday as the Sounders management wrapped up the 2012 season, which ended with a loss to Los Angeles in the Western Conference finals.
Johnson finished with 14 goals in MLS play, 17 in all competitions and was voted the MLS comeback player of the year. Hanauer said Johnson's option is less than designated player level. Johnson's play this year earned him a call up to the U.S. men's national team during World Cup qualifying.
Hanauer said the club will face some significant salary cap issues for the 2013 season because it has less allocation money. He said all options will be on the table to clear salary cap space.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Mariners' Nick Franklin tweets he's been sent down
- Seager's 2 HRs give Seattle 5-3 win over Houston
- Zduriencik and McClendon on the Mariners struggle
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Why just 1 prime-time home game for the Seahawks?
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Greg Scruggs
- Report: Seahawks exec Scot McCloughan resigns
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman named to Time's list of 100 most influential people
- Seahawks will need a finishing touch in 2014
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- More Seattle Seahawks »