Updated Oct 30, 2012 - 2:53 pm
Sounders get encouraging news with Eddie Johnson
"It's (his hamstring), a slight tweak, and is not as bad as we initially thought," Schmid said. "We wanted to go easy with him today and see where he is tomorrow. There's an outside chance he could play Friday, and for the second game it shouldn't be a problem."
The second playoff game will be on Real Salt Lake's home field in Sandy, Utah on Thursday, Nov. 8.
Johnson, who is a candidate for Major League Soccer's comeback player of the year, felt something wrong with the hamstring in the second half of Seattle's final regular-season match on Sunday. Instead of risking a devastating injury, he asked to come out immediately.
Schmid would not say which player might start in Johnson's place should he not be healthy enough to go against Real Salt Lake in the first leg of the playoff series Friday night at CenturyLink Field. Obvious candidates are Sammy Ochoa and David Estrada.
Schmid was also encouraged about the continued recovery of left back Leo Gonzalez from his strained hamstring, and central defender Jeff Parke, who also sustained a leg injury in the Los Angeles Galaxy game.
While Seattle has been in the MLS playoffs four years in a row, the Sounders have yet to win a series, including last year's disappointing defeat against Salt Lake.
Schmid said his club is on a mission to stop that trend.
"We want to get beyond the first round because we haven't accomplished that," he said. "I think the players are motivated and focused on that task at hand."
Follow Bill Swartz, 710 ESPN Seattle
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- M's notebook: Updates on Iwakuma, Paxton and more
- Maurer to start for Mariners on Sunday
- More Seattle Mariners »
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- Seahawks' preseason dates, times announced
- Seahawks' Zach Miller glad to be back after pay cut
- Seahawks Russell Wilson most popular pro athlete in Washington state
- 3 thoughts on the Seahawks' trade for Terrelle Pryor
- Nevada man sues Seahawks, NFL for $50 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
- More Seattle Seahawks »