Updated Nov 1, 2012 - 5:39 pm
Sounders' pitch to have Seahawks markings
In order for the Sounders to host Game 1 of their Major League Soccer playoff game against Real Salt Lake on Friday night, compromises had to be made with CenturyLink Field management and the stadium's primary tenant, the Seahawks.
They also have a home game Sunday afternoon against the Vikings. Because of our drippy weather and because paint needs a few days to properly dry, the Seahawks markings and border needed to be installed over the artificial surface.
There won't be any hash marks and yard lines to help the soccer players avoid any confusion of their midfield, 18-yard lines and penalty box.
Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said he's satisfied with the spirit of cooperation and the support the Seahawks' front office has given his soccer team the first four years.
Some of the Seahawks players, including quarterback Russell Wilson, wore Sounders scarves at the team's headquarters in Renton Thursday. Wilson said he's become a big fan after meeting Sounders forward Eddie Johnson through their IMG management company.
Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said technology is moving along fast enough there could be quick-drying paint solutions in the future, but for this season they must live with playing on the NFL and Seahawks markings.
If Seattle reaches the second round of the playoffs, there could be another stadium use conflict with both the Seahawks and the Washington Huskies, who are using CenturyLink Field as a temporary home.
Follow Bill Swartz, 710 ESPN Seattle
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »