Updated Nov 6, 2012 - 2:27 pm
Sounders' Rosales a question mark for RSL match
Late in Friday's scoreless tie with Real Salt Lake, the Argentine veteran limped off the field with a hamstring injury. MRI results have Sounders coach Sigi Schmid cautiously optimistic that Rosales might be available Thursday night in Utah.
"Mauro went through the early part of the warmup today and then we sent him in with the trainers," Schmid said. "It was definite progress from yesterday. They've been able to localize the injury. We'll see how he feels tomorrow and day by day."
Seattle should have leading scorer Eddie Johnson back in the starting 11 for this crucial match. Johnson was held out of the first contest after tweaking his hamstring in the regular-season finale.
The Sounders have yet to score a goal against RSL in four meetings this season. They had several fantastic chances last Friday but were turned away by some incredible work by keeper Nick Rimando.
Players' health and fitness are factors when Schmid creates his final lineup, especially knowing the match could go into overtime or even penalty kicks.
"You have to think about starting people who have the capability of going 90-plus minutes," Schmid said. "If you don't you're locked into some subs, and if someone is injured you're in some trouble."
First kick has been moved to 7 p.m. for national television. Ross Fletcher and Kasey Keller will call the action on KIRO Radio 97.3 FM.
Follow Bill Swartz, 710 ESPN Seattle
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »