Updated Nov 11, 2012 - 9:36 am
Sounders' Burch suspended, fined
Garber also ordered Burch to attend diversity and sensitivity training.
Burch will sit out the two-game Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Galaxy. If the Sounders advance to the MLS Cup, he will sit out the title game. If Seattle fails to advance, the suspension will carry over to the first game next season.
"Major League Soccer has a zero-tolerance policy in response to this type of behavior from its players or staff," Garber said. "While I understand and believe that Mr. Burch is remorseful, Major League Soccer is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's reportedly interested in White Sox OF Viciedo
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- More Seattle Mariners »