Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 11:59 pm
Seattle takes forward and defender in MLS draft
TUKWILA, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Sounders traded up in the first round of the MLS SuperDraft to select Indiana forward Eriq Zavaleta, and then addressed defensive depth by taking Brown defender Dylan Remick in the second round.
Seattle was supposed to pick 16th in the first round on Thursday, but traded with Toronto to move up to No. 10 and take Zavaleta. The 20-year-old Zavaleta was the Big Ten offensive player of the year last season after scoring 18 goals, good for third most in the country. Zavaleta also assisted on the game-winning goal that gave Indiana its eighth national championship.
The 21-year-old Remick was selected 35th overall.
He was selected first-team all-Ivy League each of the last three seasons at Brown.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- More Seattle Mariners »