Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 11:59 pm
Seattle takes forward and defender in MLS draft
TUKWILA, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Sounders traded up in the first round of the MLS SuperDraft to select Indiana forward Eriq Zavaleta, and then addressed defensive depth by taking Brown defender Dylan Remick in the second round.
Seattle was supposed to pick 16th in the first round on Thursday, but traded with Toronto to move up to No. 10 and take Zavaleta. The 20-year-old Zavaleta was the Big Ten offensive player of the year last season after scoring 18 goals, good for third most in the country. Zavaleta also assisted on the game-winning goal that gave Indiana its eighth national championship.
The 21-year-old Remick was selected 35th overall.
He was selected first-team all-Ivy League each of the last three seasons at Brown.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Bob and Groz
Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Brock Huard
Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- Another PED ban doesn't mean Seahawks are cheaters
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »