Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- Trading for Graham would cost the Seahawks a fortune
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- More Seattle Mariners »