Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Shannon Drayer
Zduriencik on Montero's demotion and future
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Mariners send slumping C Montero to minors
- Jack Zduriencik on Jesus Montero's demotion, future
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Anthony McCoy has torn Achilles
- Ex-Seahawk Mike Williams resurfaces in CFL
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »