Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Zduriencik and McClendon on the Mariners struggle
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »