Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- M's Chris Young has put shoulder issues behind him
- Could beards be the reason fans aren't connecting to the Mariners?
- Mariners notebook: Disappointing weekend for offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Bruce Irvin
- Report: Woman transported from Kaepernick's hotel
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick responds to reports of 'suspicious incident'
- Lakewood is celebrating Jermaine Kearse Day
- Hawk Talk: Wright and the Seahawks' LB precedent
- More Seattle Seahawks »