Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Christine Michael
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- More Seattle Seahawks »