Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sounders officially send Montero to Columbia
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Adrian Hanauer, general manager and part owner, in a news release. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Seattle signed Montero to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan, meaning the team would be compensated if he ends up with a major team that pays him far more, according to Seattle Times Sounders reporter Joshua Mayers. Mayers reports terms weren't disclosed per team and league policy, but the deal reportedly includes a $4.5 million option to buy.
Montero has already begun playing for his new club and saw some preseason action over the weekend.
Follow Josh Kerns, MyNorthwest.com Reporter
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Jim Moore
Irvin's misstep changes Seahawks' outlook
- Brock and Danny
Strong reviews for Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate
- Bob and Groz
Mariners' Justin Smoak is quietly getting it done
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Justin Smoak is quietly getting it done
- Mariners blow leads, lose 10-8 to Indians
- Mistakes prove costly as Mariners swept by Indians
- Trading Iwakuma could bolster Mariners' offense
- Bowden: Nick Franklin call-up will help M's offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- Bruce Irvin's misstep changes Seahawks' outlook
- Seahawks waive backup QB Josh Portis
- Russell Wilson's talent and more OTA observations
- Seahawks' Cliff Avril dealing with foot injury
- Irvin present, Lynch absent as Seahawks begin OTAs
- More Seattle Seahawks »