Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Sounders acquire Joseph from Chivas USA
TUKWILA, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Sounders acquired seven-time MLS all-star Shalrie Joseph in a trade with Chivas USA on Tuesday that will eat up Seattle's remaining designated player slot and could lead to more roster moves before the start of the MLS season.
Seattle also acquired two future draft picks and a higher allocation spot in the trade. In return, the Sounders were forced to use their coveted DP spot on Joseph, although Chivas is taking a portion of the salary cap hit.
"It was effectively the only way to get the deal done. All in all we're very happy with the deal otherwise we wouldn't have done it," Seattle general manager Adrian Hanauer said. "We realize that gives us three designated players between Mauro (Rosales), Christian (Tiffert) and Shalrie. We also have two weeks left and we still have the ability to buy a player out if we decide to do that to open up a slot ... if that was something we decided to do. Would we rather have not absorbed a designated player slot sure, but that was the only way to get the deal done."
Joseph is a 10-year veteran of the MLS, spending most of his career with New England before a trade to Chivas last season. Joseph has four times been named to the MLS Best XI team and was a finalist for league MVP in 2009.
His time with Chivas was expected to come to an end after new coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola announced at the start of training camp that Joseph was not in the club's future plans.
Yet how he fits with Seattle is just as much of a question.
Hanauer said the team was enticed by Joseph's versatility and his ability to play nearly any position down the center of the field. With how Seattle's lineup currently sits, his most likely positions would be as a central defender or a center midfielder. And that's where a roster move could be coming.
Hanauer indicated multiple times during a conference call that the Sounders could buyout one player before the season begins on March 2. And he indicated the team is actively pursuing help for Eddie Johnson at forward, a move that could require a designated player spot.
Of Seattle's two remaining designated players, Tiffert would seem the most likely to be moved because of the depth the Sounders have in the midfield with Osvaldo Alonso, Brad Evans, Mario Martinez, Andy Rose, Alex Caskey and now Joseph.
"I would be lying if we said we're not also very interested in acquiring another forward and I'd be lying if I wasn't saying that was a player that could fill that designated player position," Hanauer said. "That gives you a heads up that we are considering all of our options over the next couple of weeks."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- John Clayton
Video: Clayton trains for his big moment at Safeco
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Shannon Drayer
Zduriencik on Montero's demotion and future
- Seattle drops 7th straight in 9-5 loss to Texas
- Berkman, Baker power Texas past Seattle 9-5
- Seattle designates Andino calls up Sucre, Triunfel
- With Andino reportedly on waivers and Miller on the move, what's next for the Mariners?
- Law: Zduriencik's seat 'getting hotter by the day'
- Zduriencik says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks' Anthony McCoy has torn Achilles
- Ex-Seahawk Mike Williams resurfaces in CFL
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »