Updated Mar 11, 2013 - 4:50 pm
Martins says he's leaving Levante for Seattle
SEATTLE (AP) - Nigerian forward Obafemi Martins says on Twitter he is leaving Spanish club Levante to join the Seattle Sounders.
Martins made his posts on Monday, which was followed by an announcement from Levante that he was leaving. Martins wrote that he wanted to give thanks to Levante for the chance to play in La Liga, but that signing with Seattle is, "a big step to take in my career."
At training on Monday, Seattle general manager Adrian Hanauer told reporters there was nothing official to announce but did not deny "indicators" that pointed to Martins playing for Seattle in the near future.
The Sounders have been seeking a replacement at forward to play alongside Eddie Johnson since Fredy Montero was loaned to Colombian club. The 28-year-old Martins had nine goals in 22 matches in all competitions for Levante this season.
His best seasons were with Inter Milan (2001-06) and Newcastle (2006-09).
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Giants game will be prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin sits out again
- Giants game will be a prime opportunity for Seahawks
- Seahawks fans outraged by depiction in Dr. Dre commercial
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle signs Hart, acquires Morrison
- Mariners agree to deal with Corey Hart, reportedly acquire Logan Morrison in trade
- Report paints an ugly picture of Mariners' front office
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- More Seattle Mariners »