Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 12:51 pm
Sounders FC's Gspurning suspended for CONCACAF semifinal
Sounders FC will be without one of their key pieces for the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinal against Santos Laguna, as goalkeeper Michael Gspurning has been suspended for one game after picking up his second yellow card in the second leg of the CONCACAF tournament.
Gspurning was penalized for delay of game during the match against Mexico's Tigres UANL after holding onto the ball as the other team was making a substitution.
"I thought the yellow was really harsh in that game," Sounders FC coach Sigi Schmid told The Seattle Times. "Because they were subbing at the time, and so Gspurning was waiting for their player to get off the field — because he was exiting the field on the end line — and the referee gave him a yellow for not putting the ball into play. And he's like sitting there, ‘I can't put the ball into play. The guy is still on the field; they're subbing.' So it was a little bit of a confusing issue."
The yellow card was Gspurning's second, after drawing another in a match Sept. 19 agains CD Marathon of Honduras. The suspension came as a suprise to Schmid, who thought all yellows were wiped clean after the group stage.
The pressure will fall on veteran backup Marcus Hahnemann in what is arguably one of the biggest matches in Sounders history. The 40-year-old has yet to appear in a match this season. He made his sole appearance last season in a 3-1 CONCACAF Champions Group Stage win vs. Marathon in October.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Jim Moore
Hawks-49ers will come down to the best team
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »