Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 9:38 pm
Santos draws 1-1, advances to final
Colombian Carlos Darwin Quintero scored on a free kick after 20 minutes, but Lamar Neagle tied it in the 72nd for the MLS team. Neagle's goal added a touch of drama to the final minutes, but the Mexicans were able to endure for a 3-2 aggregate edge in the home-and-home series. Seattle lost 2-1 at home in the first leg.
Last year, Santos lost in the final to Mexican rival Monterrey, which faces the LA Galaxy of MLS on Wednesday night. Seattle, which last year was eliminated in the quarterfinals, lost a chance to qualify to the CONCACAF final for the first time.
After the first goal, Santos had several opportunities to widen the gap. In the 28th minute, Oribe Peralta sent a shot high, and in the 44th he hit the goal post.
In the second half, Seattle had a good chance early on with a shot by Cuban Osvaldo Alonso, but Oswaldo Sanchez made a great save.
Neagle's shot that tied the game came from 5 yards. The Sounders closed the game strongly and had two headers in the area that could've meant a victory and a place in the final.
In the 88th minute, Djimi Traore's shot was saved by Sanchez and Neagle had one more chance in the 90th minute, but shot wide.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Jim Moore
Hawks-49ers will come down to the best team
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »