Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 9:38 pm
Santos draws 1-1, advances to final
Colombian Carlos Darwin Quintero scored on a free kick after 20 minutes, but Lamar Neagle tied it in the 72nd for the MLS team. Neagle's goal added a touch of drama to the final minutes, but the Mexicans were able to endure for a 3-2 aggregate edge in the home-and-home series. Seattle lost 2-1 at home in the first leg.
Last year, Santos lost in the final to Mexican rival Monterrey, which faces the LA Galaxy of MLS on Wednesday night. Seattle, which last year was eliminated in the quarterfinals, lost a chance to qualify to the CONCACAF final for the first time.
After the first goal, Santos had several opportunities to widen the gap. In the 28th minute, Oribe Peralta sent a shot high, and in the 44th he hit the goal post.
In the second half, Seattle had a good chance early on with a shot by Cuban Osvaldo Alonso, but Oswaldo Sanchez made a great save.
Neagle's shot that tied the game came from 5 yards. The Sounders closed the game strongly and had two headers in the area that could've meant a victory and a place in the final.
In the 88th minute, Djimi Traore's shot was saved by Sanchez and Neagle had one more chance in the 90th minute, but shot wide.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Reports: Walter Thurmond set to visit with Jaguars
- Reports: Clinton McDonald reaches deal with Bucs
- Bennett's deal shows Seahawks will reward their own
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Michael Bennett: 'Why would I ever want to leave?'
- Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- M's reportedly interested in White Sox OF Viciedo
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- More Seattle Mariners »