Updated Jul 7, 2013 - 9:03 am
Miller, Mattocks lead Whitecaps past Sounders, 2-0
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - Kenny Miller and second-half substitute Darren Mattocks scored and Brad Knighton picked up his second shutout of the season in the Vancouver Whitecaps' 2-0 victory over the Seattle Sounders on Saturday night.
Knighton also earned an assist on Mattocks' key insurance goal in the 80th minute for the Whitecaps (8-5-5), who beat Seattle for the first time in league play in their third MLS season. Vancouver moved into fourth place in the Western Conference standings while extending its streak to five games.
The Sounders (7-6-3) saw their unbeaten streak end at four games.
Miller capitalized on Vancouver's first legitimate chance of the game in the fourth minute. He ran on to Corey Hertzog's long, high ball from the midfield line, sidestepped defender Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and put a shot just inside the far post.
Hertzog's assist was his first in 11 MLS games. He also has a goal to his credit.
The Whitecaps did not get another good chance again in the first half.
Instead, they had to rely on stellar goalkeeping from Knighton, who will be in a battle to keep his starting job after newly signed Danish goalie David Ousted becomes eligible to play once an international transfer window opens Tuesday.
Knighton was credited with five saves in the first half as Seattle recorded 10 shots. Three of them went wide and two were blocked.
Whitecaps coach Martin Rennie tried to generate some offense in the 76th minute as he subbed in striker Mattocks for Camilo, who was held in check most of the night and saw his scoring streak end at five games.
The move worked as Mattocks ran on to midfielder Gershon Koffie's long header off a Knighton goal kick and lifted the ball over Seattle goalkeeper Michael Gspurning. The goal was the first for Mattocks since May 11.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
Photo gallery: 49ers 19, Seahawks 17
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Seahawks notebook: 'The penalties, they killed us'
- Column: Road to Super Bowl still through Seattle
- 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17 after late field goal
- Seahawks missing Percy Harvin as expected
- Hawks-49ers will come down to who's the best team
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »