Updated Oct 20, 2013 - 12:30 pm
Michel leads FC Dallas past Seattle. 2-0
FRISCO, Texas (AP) - Michel had a goal and an assist to help FC Dallas beat Seattle 2-0 on Saturday, preventing the Sounders from clinching a playoff spot.
Michel, who replaced Kenny Cooper in the 58th minute, scored in the 87th minute after he tapped a shot into the right corner of the net from the top of the goalie's box. Michel rebounded a missed shot by David Ferreira before scoring his third goal of the season.
Michel set up FC Dallas' first goal in the 65th minute when he arched a free kick to Matt Hedges. Hedges redirected the pass with a header from about 10 yards away that bounced off the ground and into the top left corner of the net.
FC Dallas improved to 11-11-1 with its third victory in its past 20 matches.
Seattle (15-12-6) has lost four straight. The Sounders also are on a six-game winless streak in which they have failed to score more than one goal in a game. Clint Dempsey came close to scoring in the 80th minute, but pulled a free kick just wide left of the net.
The game was the final home game for Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman. Hyndman announced Friday that he is stepping down as coach at the end of this season after taking over in June 2008. Before joining FC Dallas, Hyndman spent 31 seasons as a college head coach, including 24 at nearby SMU. Hyndman led the club to the 2010 MLS Cup and also became the became the first FC Dallas coach to win MLS Coach of the Year honors.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »