Updated Dec 10, 2013 - 2:07 pm
Sounders acquire GK Frei from Toronto in trade
Tuesday's trade came a day after the Sounders declined their 2014 contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.
The 27-year Frei was Toronto's career leader in appearances and had spent more time on the club than any other player. He missed most of the past two seasons with injuries, including a broken lower leg in 2012. He has played in just one MLS game the past two seasons.
Frei has a 1.54 goals-against average in 82 MLS regular-season starts. He was Toronto's first-round pick of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, and he played in college at California.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Mariners' Nick Franklin tweets he's been sent down
- Seager's 2 HRs give Seattle 5-3 win over Houston
- Zduriencik and McClendon on the Mariners struggle
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks exec Scot McCloughan resigns
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman named to Time's list of 100 most influential people
- Seahawks will need a finishing touch in 2014
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks get Packers Week 1, 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- More Seattle Seahawks »