Updated Dec 12, 2013 - 3:40 pm
Timbers select Zakuani in MLS re-entry draft
Portland sent the No. 17 selection and defender Andrew Jean-Baptiste to Chivas USA on Thursday for the No. 2 pick and midfielder/defender Jorge Villafana.
Zakuani has played for the rival Seattle Sounders since he was the top pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. He has appeared in 80 regular-season matches, with 17 goals and 14 assists.
Zakuani played for Timbers coach Caleb Porter at the University of Akron and led the nation in scoring with 20 goals and 47 points as a sophomore.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Mariners' Nick Franklin tweets he's been sent down
- Seager's 2 HRs give Seattle 5-3 win over Houston
- Zduriencik and McClendon on the Mariners struggle
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Report: Seahawks exec Scot McCloughan resigns
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman named to Time's list of 100 most influential people
- Seahawks will need a finishing touch in 2014
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks get Packers Week 1, 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- More Seattle Seahawks »