Updated Dec 16, 2013 - 4:43 pm
Sounders re-sign defender Leo Gonzalez
TUKWILA, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Sounders have re-signed defender Leo Gonzalez, one of seven remaining players from the club's first season as an MLS team.
The Sounders announced the signing on Monday. Gonzalez was voted by his teammates as the club's defender of the year in 2013 despite missing time with injuries. Gonzalez started 27 of 33 league matches and played in 33 of 42 total matches across all competitions in 2013. Of Seattle's 15 regular-season MLS victories, 14 came when Gonzalez was in the starting lineup.
Gonzalez, 33, originally signed with Seattle on July 2, 2009. He's played in 136 matches in all competitions with the Sounders.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Reports: O'Brien Schofield signs with Giants
- Report: Golden Tate set to visit Lions
- Reports: Walter Thurmond set to visit with Jaguars
- Reports: Clinton McDonald reaches deal with Bucs
- Bennett's deal shows Seahawks will reward their own
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- M's reportedly interested in White Sox OF Viciedo
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- More Seattle Mariners »