UPDATE: The Washington State Department of Transportation says SR 99 will be open the rest of the weekend. Only the Battery Street Tunnel will be closed on Sunday for the Hot Chocolate 15K from 6 a.m. to noon.
The Alaskan Way Viaduct is closed most of the day Saturday and Sunday for a semiannual inspection. Surface streets in Seattle are expected to handle the brunt of that traffic.
Closure details, courtesy WSDOT:
6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 4 and Sunday, March 5
- Alaskan Way Viaduct closed for its scheduled inspection between South Spokane Street and the north end of the Battery Street Tunnel.
Sunday, March 5
- The Hot Chocolate Run will close SR/99 Aurora Avenue North in both directions north of the Battery Street Tunnel.
- Southbound SR 99/Aurora Avenue North will be closed to North 38th Street from 6:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- The northbound lane closure will extend to North 45th Street from 6:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- In addition, a Project Belltown walk through the Battery Street Tunnel could keep the northbound lanes of the Battery Street Tunnel closed as late as 1 p.m.