Ciscoe's Tips of the Week: Time for lawn renovationMarch 14, 2013 @ 5:00 pm (Updated: 10:12 am - 4/5/13 )
Ciscoe's Tips of the Week:
- As soon as the soil has no more moisture content than a squeezed sponge, renovate your lawn by renting an aerating machine and pulling gazillions of plugs. Follow up by raking grass seed into the holes and applying an organic lawn starter fertilizer.
- Mow your lawn whenever the grass gets 1/3 taller than the height you normally cut it. For most lawns it's best to mow to two inches tall as soon as the grass reaches 3 inches tall. Use a mulching mower and leave the clippings.
- Avoid fertilizing lawns until the last week in April unless you are renovating the turf. Too early fertilization causes excessive growth and shallow rooting.
Ciscoe's Tips for the month of March:
- Prune roses and work in a mix of alfalfa meal and natural all-purpose fertilizer.
- Apply alfalfa meal and organic fertilizer to get perennials off to a galloping start.
- Rent a dethatching machine to remove moss from lawn before applying a moss control.