Ciscoe's Tips of the Week: Prevent lawn mossApril 4, 2013 @ 4:49 pm (Updated: 1:14 pm - 4/5/13 )
- The best way to rid your lawn of moss is to rent a power dethatching machine and use it to remove the moss first before applying moss control products.
"You'll be rid of the moss for awhile," says Ciscoe. "There's no easy way to get rid of moss."
- The best defense against lawn moss is to keep your grass thick and growing vigorously. Grass won't grow well in shade, so consider removing shady areas of lawn and replacing it with shade loving shrubs and perennials.
- The best way to prevent moss from accumulating in garden beds is to scrape it out with a stirrup or scuffle hoe (special hoes that scrape the surface, available at your garden center) and then cover the soil with wood chip mulch.
If you'd rather keep it around, Ciscoe says there's nothing wrong with moss. "It's soft, it's pretty."
Ciscoe's Tips of the Month for April
- Rent an aeration machine to pull plugs from the lawn. Leave plugs and allow to break down naturally.
- Top dress with a layer of organic compost, making sure not to cover more than 1/3 of the grass blades.
- Divide summer and fall blooming perennials and replant with natural fertilizer.