Ciscoe's Tips of the Week: Protect your blueberries from RobinsJuly 26, 2013 @ 11:08 am (Updated: 10:02 pm - 7/27/13 )
Ciscoe's Tips of the Week:
- Net your blueberries right-away, or the only ones who are going to enjoy all of those health benefits that come from delicious blueberries will be Robby & Rachel Robin.
- To keep bearded iris flowering, divide them at least every five years or sooner if blooming becomes sparse. The best time to divide them is between mid-July and the end of August. Replant with the top surface of the rhizome level with the soil surface.
- Rose saw fly gnaws away at the leaves creating window-pane like damage and sometimes holes in the leaves. If you see symptoms, spray thoroughly under each leaf with environmentally friendly neem oil. It will do in the little fly larvae and help fight rose diseases at the same time. Move any ladybugs on the rose to a different plant, as the oil will do them in as well.
Ciscoe's Tips of the Month for July
- Deadhead spent flowers and add organic rose and flower food to promote blooming.
- Fertilize container gardens regularly. Add a water soluble natural all-purpose fertilizer every other week.
- Harvest beans, cucumbers, and summer squash when they are young for better taste and to keep them producing.