Ciscoe’s Tips of the Week:
– Cut back watering on garlic and remove any flower buds that form at the top leaf (they’re great in stir-fries) harvest when there are four leaves left on the stalk.
– Prevent daylily midge problems from building up. Look for, remove and stomp the living tweetle out of any buds that turn brownish and resemble distorted golf balls or triangles as soon as you see them. Later blooming daylillies usually aren’t as bothered by this pest.
– Blanch non-blanching cauliflower by covering the heads with the leaves. Harvest when the heads size up and the flowers just begin to separate.
Ciscoe’s Tips of the Month for July
– Deadhead spent flowers and add organic rose and flower food to promote blooming.
– Fertilize container gardens regularly. Add a water soluble natural all-purpose fertilizer every other week.
– Harvest beans, cucumbers, and summer squash when they are young for better taste and to keep them producing.