Ciscoe’s Tips of the Week:
– Harvest remaining peas, and remove over the hill plants to make room for hot season vegetables.
– Prune back late summer blooming perennials such as aster, phlox, and lobelia by about 2/3rds to make them bushier and to delay bloom.
– If your Sedum spectabilis (Autumn Joy type) tend to flop, cut them back 2/3rds now. They’ll grow back as a dome, won’t flop and will be covered with flowers in fall.
Ciscoe’s Tips of the Month for June
– Keep roses blooming by feeding a mix of organic rose food and alfalfa meal. Remove spent flowers.
– Remove aphids by blasting them off with a powerful spray of water, or use a natural insecticidal soap.
– Apply 1 inch of water weekly to lawns, and mow every five to seven days.