Weekly knowledge-off quiz: Marathonson November 2, 2012 @ 12:05 pm (Updated: 12:26 pm - 11/2/12 )
1. According to legend, the original marathon was actually 25 miles. It wasn't until 1908, in London, that the distance was extended to 26 miles. That same year, Queen Alexandra, requested the distance be extended an additional 385 yards - or .2 miles - why?
A. She was using British Imperial Units to measure the distance instead of the more conventional metric measurements.
B. She wanted to make sure the royal children could watch the race from their nursery.
C. She thought running races were a commoner's spectacle and she wanted the racers suffer more.
D. The King has recently passed away, and she wanted a way to demonstrate her ability to rule decisively, even if the decision was frivolous.
2. The New York City Marathon is one of the largest marathons in the world. Last year over 46 thousand runners finished. But in the first race, only 127 runners ran. That was in 1970. And a man named Fred Lebow started it. Lebow was not originally from New York. Where was he born?
A. Toyko, Japan
B. San Paulo, Brazil
C. Lawrence, Kansas
D. Transylvania, Romania
3. Three of these people have run a marathon. One has not. Who is the person who hasn't run a marathon?
A. Jesse "The Body" Venture
B. Puffy Daddy
C. Oprah Winfrey
D. Will Farrell
4. How old was the youngest person to ever complete the New York City Marathon?
A. 6 years old
B. 8 years old
C. 10 years old
D. 12 years old
5. Perhaps the most famous marathon cheat is Rosie Ruiz. She won the Boston Marathon in 1980, only to have her title stripped shortly thereafter when it was discovered that she joined the race near the finish line. She also cheated in the New York City Marathon prior to that. How did she do it?
A. She started the NYC marathon near the finish line too.
B. Instead of running around Central Park, she cut cross country, shaving 4.5 miles off the race.
C. Shortly after starting the race, she hopped on the subway and rode it to the end.
D. Her husband picked her up and gave her a lift in his car.
Answers: 1. B, 2. D, 3. A, 4. B, 5. C
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.