Five reasons why this winter is a good time to sellJanuary 23, 2013 @ 12:35 pm (Updated: 5:40 am - 1/24/13 )
Forget the myth that winter is a bad time to sell real estate. While sales usually inch lower in the cooler months, some real estate analysts are saying this winter in particular may be a good time to sell a home.
1. Mortgage rates remain near record-breaking lows.
2. Home prices are starting to rebound in many markets across the country. The National Association of Realtors reported that home prices in December were 11.5 percent higher than a year earlier.
3. Homes still remain a good deal. Prices are rising but remain mostly below 2007 highs, and in many areas, the cost of buying is cheaper than renting.
4. Inventories in many neighborhoods remain extremely low. The basic rule of supply and demand - when supply is down, many sellers are in command.
5. Household demographic changes: Many buyers once waited until the end of a school year before moving, but households are changing and moving schedules are less tied to school terms. That's because households with children are making up a smaller part of the buying mix. According to William Frey of the Brookings Institution, 80 percent of all households in the U.S. do not include children.
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.