Updated Apr 25, 2013 - 11:06 pm
Would Tyrann Mathieu make sense for the Seahawks?
The Seahawks will field what is arguably the NFL's best trio of cornerbacks next season now that Antoine Winfield has joined Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman in Seattle's secondary.
Winfield will be an unrestricted free agent once his one-year deal expires. Sherman will still be under contract, but having completed his third season he'll be eligible to negotiate a new deal that is commensurate with his status as one of the NFL's best cornerbacks. Breaking the bank for Sherman might make it difficult to retain Browner – who will be a restricted free agent – should another team make him a substantial offer.
So, being set at cornerback for the upcoming season won't necessarily preclude Seattle from addressing the position in the draft with an eye toward 2014 and beyond.
That's where Tyrann Mathieu enters the discussion.
The Seahawks and every other team will have to weigh the good and the bad with Mathieu, the one-time All-American and Heisman finalist whose career at LSU was undermined by substance-abuse issues.
Brock Huard and Danny O'Neil pick up the conversation from there, discussing whether they could see Seattle drafting Mathieu or Michigan's Denard Robinson.
You can listen to Thursday's podcast here.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »