Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 12:01 am
UW's Desmond Trufant drafted 22nd by Falcons
First, Desmond Trufant turned heads at the Senior Bowl, where analysts said he had one of the best weeks of any prospect. Then he opened more eyes with a blazing fast 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.
Trufant's ascension culminated Thursday during the first round of the NFL Draft when the Falcons traded up to take the former Washington cornerback with the 22nd overall pick.
So much for the notion that Trufant didn't show enough play-making ability during his four seasons at Washington for a team to consider him a first-round talent. Trufant was the third cornerback off the board after the Jets chose Dee Milliner of Alabama at No. 9 and and the Raiders took Houston's D.J. Hayden three picks later. Minnesota later took Xavier Rhodes from Florida State at No. 25.
Trufant, a Tacoma native, becomes the 20th player from the University of Washington to be taken in the first round, according to the school, and he'll join brothers Marcus and Isaiah in the NFL. Marcus, the longtime Seahawk, is an unrestricted free agent, while Isaiah plays for the Jets.
"Congrats to Desmond Trufant, it runs in the family," Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor tweeted.
The Seahawks play the Falcons in Atlanta in Week 10.
St. Louis originally owned the 22nd pick before trading it to Atlanta for the 30th, 92nd and 198th overall selections.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test
- Mariners minor leaguer suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »