Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 12:01 am
UW's Desmond Trufant drafted 22nd by Falcons
First, Desmond Trufant turned heads at the Senior Bowl, where analysts said he had one of the best weeks of any prospect. Then he opened more eyes with a blazing fast 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.
Trufant's ascension culminated Thursday during the first round of the NFL Draft when the Falcons traded up to take the former Washington cornerback with the 22nd overall pick.
So much for the notion that Trufant didn't show enough play-making ability during his four seasons at Washington for a team to consider him a first-round talent. Trufant was the third cornerback off the board after the Jets chose Dee Milliner of Alabama at No. 9 and and the Raiders took Houston's D.J. Hayden three picks later. Minnesota later took Xavier Rhodes from Florida State at No. 25.
Trufant, a Tacoma native, becomes the 20th player from the University of Washington to be taken in the first round, according to the school, and he'll join brothers Marcus and Isaiah in the NFL. Marcus, the longtime Seahawk, is an unrestricted free agent, while Isaiah plays for the Jets.
"Congrats to Desmond Trufant, it runs in the family," Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor tweeted.
The Seahawks play the Falcons in Atlanta in Week 10.
St. Louis originally owned the 22nd pick before trading it to Atlanta for the 30th, 92nd and 198th overall selections.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Jim Moore
Rooting against Huskies' Petersen won't be easy
- Bob and Groz
Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- Luke Willson showing why the Seahawks wanted him
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Zduriencik addresses Wedge's comments, Cano's deal and other potential Mariners moves
- Mariners notes: In defense of Cano's contract
- Mariners notes, links from Day 1 of winter meetings
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- More Seattle Mariners »