Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 11:16 am
Report: Mathieu cancelled meeting with Seahawks
A report from Jay Glazer of Fox Sports adds an interesting twist to the conversation about the possibility of the Seahawks drafting cornerback Tyrann Mathieu.
Glazer, during an appearance on "The Dan Patrick Show" Friday morning, said the former LSU cornerback cancelled a scheduled meeting with Seattle, purportedly ill and perhaps a little weary from all the pre-draft interviews he had already conducted.
"Last week I had two teams that called and said this dude was supposed to come out here and meet with us and he fell off the grid," Glazer told Patrick, later specifying that the teams were Seattle and Houston. "...His agent, I talked to him, he said, 'Look, he's sick. He's really sick. He got run into the ground – it was all the interviews.'"
Glazer is a well-sourced NFL reporter and knows Seahawks general manager John Schneider well – even serving as emcee of the charity fundraising event Schneider and his wife have put on the last two years.
It's unclear, based on what Glazer told Patrick, whether Mathieu blew off the meetings or formally cancelled them. The former would be a downright disastrous decision for a player whose troubled past has already cost him plenty.
Teams interview prospects to gauge their football acumen and character. Perhaps it's been a more exhausting process for Mathieu, whose surely been put through the wringer by teams wary of his history of substance-abuse issues.
The Seahawks have 10 selections, including one apiece in the second and third round. The fact that they had a meeting scheduled with Mathieu shows they have at least some level of interest in him. It's also evidence that they're open to drafting a cornerback despite being set at the position for the immediate future.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Jim Moore
Hawks-49ers will come down to the best team
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »