Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 11:16 am
Report: Mathieu cancelled meeting with Seahawks
A report from Jay Glazer of Fox Sports adds an interesting twist to the conversation about the possibility of the Seahawks drafting cornerback Tyrann Mathieu.
Glazer, during an appearance on "The Dan Patrick Show" Friday morning, said the former LSU cornerback cancelled a scheduled meeting with Seattle, purportedly ill and perhaps a little weary from all the pre-draft interviews he had already conducted.
"Last week I had two teams that called and said this dude was supposed to come out here and meet with us and he fell off the grid," Glazer told Patrick, later specifying that the teams were Seattle and Houston. "...His agent, I talked to him, he said, 'Look, he's sick. He's really sick. He got run into the ground – it was all the interviews.'"
Glazer is a well-sourced NFL reporter and knows Seahawks general manager John Schneider well – even serving as emcee of the charity fundraising event Schneider and his wife have put on the last two years.
It's unclear, based on what Glazer told Patrick, whether Mathieu blew off the meetings or formally cancelled them. The former would be a downright disastrous decision for a player whose troubled past has already cost him plenty.
Teams interview prospects to gauge their football acumen and character. Perhaps it's been a more exhausting process for Mathieu, whose surely been put through the wringer by teams wary of his history of substance-abuse issues.
The Seahawks have 10 selections, including one apiece in the second and third round. The fact that they had a meeting scheduled with Mathieu shows they have at least some level of interest in him. It's also evidence that they're open to drafting a cornerback despite being set at the position for the immediate future.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- Seahawks give second-round tender to Doug Baldwin
- Reports: Michael Bennett to test free agency
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- John Stearns puts Mariners first and steps down
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- More Seattle Mariners »