Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 11:34 pm
Seahawks draft RB Christine Michael after trading back
RENTON – The Seahawks didn't hold a first-round pick this year, but they still managed a selection that was nothing short of shocking.
They picked Christine Michael of Texas A&M, and if that name isn't familiar, well, it's pronounced "Christian" and his position will have people all over the city scratching their heads.
|Height/Weight:||5-10, 221 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 2, 62nd overall|
|Notable:||First name is pronounced like "Christian." Says he models his game after Marshawn Lynch.|
Yet, the Seahawks opted to go with Michael, choosing him No. 62 overall. It is the highest the team has chosen a running back since 2002 when it picked Maurice Morris in the second round out of Oregon.
"He's our kind of runner," Seahawks general manager John Schneider said of Michael. "He's a tough, intense, up-field, one-cut guy that's a very good football player. A competitor."
Michael is 5 feet 10, 221 pounds. He played four seasons at Texas A&M. Michael gained 844 yards rushing as a freshman in 2009 and was named the Big 12's Offensive Freshman of the Year. However, he started only two games as a senior and finished with 417 yards rushing, the lowest total of his college career. He did not play in the team's bowl game.
Seattle picked Michael after trading down in the second round, giving up the No. 56 pick to Baltimore to move back six spaces in the second round. The Seahawks received a fifth-round pick and a sixth-rounder for the move. The Ravens chose linebacker Arthur Brown of Kansas State with the second-round choice acquired from Seattle.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- 5 things to know after 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »