Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 1:21 pm
Fifth round (No. 158): TE Luke Willson, Rice
The rationale: Seattle has spent the past two years searching for a pass-catching tight end to pair with Zach Miller. In 2011, it was supposed to be John Carlson except he tore his labrum in training camp and missed the year. Last year, it was going to be Kellen Winslow only he refused the paycut that had been agreed to and was released.
|Height/Weight:||6-5, 252 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 5, 158 overall|
|Notable:||A native of Ontario, Canada. Spent time in the Blue Jays' minor-league system and was drafted by the CFL's Toronto Argonauts last month.|
Willson was not invited to the scouting combine, but that has never scared off Seattle before. Receiver Kris Durham wasn't at the combine two years ago and Seattle chose him in the fourth round. Linebacker Korey Toomer wasn't at the combine last year and Seattle drafted him in the fifth.
Ed Dodds – the area scout who reported on Willson – remarked on the overall athleticism, playing hockey growing up in addition to baseball. Willson played for Canada's junior national team after his senior year of high school before going to Rice. Dodds said Willson was timed at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash during his pro day.
"I don't know if he knows it yet, but he can run," Dodds said.
The risk: He caught nine passes as a senior. Yep, nine receptions, and before you cite injuries, realize he played in 11 games.
Willson caught 33 passes as a sophomore and 29 as a junior, but this is a bet on physical potential over past production, Seattle thinking that it can look to the second tier of Rice's depth chart and find an incredible talent. As for finding a pass catcher to pair with Miller, there's no guarantee Willson will be more productive than Anthony McCoy, a backup the past three years.
The bottom line: "He's going to be a guy who can give us a downfield threat from that position," said Dodds, the area scout.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Brady Henderson
Seahawks notebook: Penalties add up in loss
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- 5 things to know after 49ers edge Seahawks 19-17
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »