Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 4:12 pm
Seventh round (No. 231): LB Ty Powell, Harding
|Height/Weight:||6-3, 248 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 7, 231 overall|
|Notable:||First player from Harding to be drafted since 1983. Drafted on his 25th birthday.|
The rationale: Linebacker was the one spot the Seahawks could clearly use more depth. They have established starting linebackers in K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner and Malcolm Smith progressed up the depth chart last season, but he has been injury prone.
Powell was both productive and versatile after transferring from DeAnza Junior College in California. He has played defensive back, defensive end and linebacker and he had 8.5 sacks last season. He was timed at 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.
The risk: He played at Harding, a Division II school in Arkansas, and while Seattle has shown a propensity to find players at places like Utah State and even Appalachian State, the Seahawks hadn't dipped into Division II ranks with John Schneider as general manager.
Hard to see much downside to this pick, though, as Seattle needs to deepen its ranks at linebacker.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »