Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 4:12 pm
Seventh round (No. 231): LB Ty Powell, Harding
|Height/Weight:||6-3, 248 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 7, 231 overall|
|Notable:||First player from Harding to be drafted since 1983. Drafted on his 25th birthday.|
The rationale: Linebacker was the one spot the Seahawks could clearly use more depth. They have established starting linebackers in K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner and Malcolm Smith progressed up the depth chart last season, but he has been injury prone.
Powell was both productive and versatile after transferring from DeAnza Junior College in California. He has played defensive back, defensive end and linebacker and he had 8.5 sacks last season. He was timed at 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.
The risk: He played at Harding, a Division II school in Arkansas, and while Seattle has shown a propensity to find players at places like Utah State and even Appalachian State, the Seahawks hadn't dipped into Division II ranks with John Schneider as general manager.
Hard to see much downside to this pick, though, as Seattle needs to deepen its ranks at linebacker.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Danny O'Neil
Seahawks notebook: Harvin held out of practice
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- 12th Man flag to fly high above San Francisco Sunday
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »