Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 4:12 pm
Seventh round (No. 231): LB Ty Powell, Harding
|Height/Weight:||6-3, 248 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 7, 231 overall|
|Notable:||First player from Harding to be drafted since 1983. Drafted on his 25th birthday.|
The rationale: Linebacker was the one spot the Seahawks could clearly use more depth. They have established starting linebackers in K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner and Malcolm Smith progressed up the depth chart last season, but he has been injury prone.
Powell was both productive and versatile after transferring from DeAnza Junior College in California. He has played defensive back, defensive end and linebacker and he had 8.5 sacks last season. He was timed at 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.
The risk: He played at Harding, a Division II school in Arkansas, and while Seattle has shown a propensity to find players at places like Utah State and even Appalachian State, the Seahawks hadn't dipped into Division II ranks with John Schneider as general manager.
Hard to see much downside to this pick, though, as Seattle needs to deepen its ranks at linebacker.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test
- Mariners minor leaguer suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »