Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 4:52 pm
Seventh round (No. 241): G Jared Smith, New Hampshire
|Height/Weight:||6-3, 292 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 7, 241 overall|
|Notable:||Finished 2012 with 40 tackles and four sacks as a defensive tackle.|
The rationale: Seattle's experiment with J.R. Sweezy worked so well last year, the Seahawks have decided to try and play that tune again with Jared Smith.
He is 6 feet 4, 302 pounds and had 33 tackles and four sacks for New Hampshire as a senior. Smith said several teams indicated they would consider drafting him as a defensive lineman, and the Seahawks were the only ones to talk about converting him to the offensive line.
It's a project that worked with Kris Dielman in San Diego about a decade ago, and one that Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable pulled off first with Jeremy Newberry and then Sweezy last year.
The risk: Well, Smith hasn't played offensive line in high school, which means that this is a project with no guarantees. Still, the success of Sweezy's conversion bodes well for the possibilities.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Danny O'Neil
Seahawks notebook: Harvin held out of practice
- Shannon Drayer
Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- 12th Man flag to fly high above San Francisco Sunday
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- More Seattle Mariners »