Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 4:52 pm
Seventh round (No. 241): G Jared Smith, New Hampshire
|Height/Weight:||6-3, 292 lbs.|
|Drafted:||Round 7, 241 overall|
|Notable:||Finished 2012 with 40 tackles and four sacks as a defensive tackle.|
The rationale: Seattle's experiment with J.R. Sweezy worked so well last year, the Seahawks have decided to try and play that tune again with Jared Smith.
He is 6 feet 4, 302 pounds and had 33 tackles and four sacks for New Hampshire as a senior. Smith said several teams indicated they would consider drafting him as a defensive lineman, and the Seahawks were the only ones to talk about converting him to the offensive line.
It's a project that worked with Kris Dielman in San Diego about a decade ago, and one that Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable pulled off first with Jeremy Newberry and then Sweezy last year.
The risk: Well, Smith hasn't played offensive line in high school, which means that this is a project with no guarantees. Still, the success of Sweezy's conversion bodes well for the possibilities.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's notes, links from Day 1 of the winter meetings
- Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »