Pet tips: Benefit of exerciseon May 2, 2013 @ 9:45 am (Updated: 9:52 am - 5/2/13 )
Running or walking with your dog can keep you motivated to stay on track and get healthy together. Daily exercise sessions can benefit you and your furry companion.
Exercise needs vary depending on the breed, age and individual traits of the dog. Check with your dog's veterinarian before starting an exercise program. Your vet can check your dog for any health issues that may be aggravated by exercise and suggest safe activities.
Increasing your pet's daily activity will allow them to burn more calories each day. Exercising can be easier to achieve in a dog you can walk and run versus a cat who requires coaxing to move, however, there are many interesting interactive cat toys available to improve activity. A laser-pointer session or wiggling around a shoe string might be a perfect way to get your cat on the move.
Benefits of Exercise
• Taking your dog for 30-minute walks once or twice a day is a great way to stay healthy. Also, jogging, swimming and playing at the dog park are all great ways to burn excess energy.
• Fetch is a great activity for pets who enjoy it - and it's perfect in a time crunch!
• Sufficient exercise helps reduce or eliminate common behaviors such as digging, excessive barking, chewing and hyperactivity. Dogs need physical and mental stimulation each day.
• Exercise helps prevent boredom and channels the dog's energy in a productive and acceptable way.
Tips for Protecting Your Dog's Paws
• In hot weather, walk your dog in grassy areas as much as possible to avoid burning his paws.
• In cold weather, consider having your dog wear booties to prevent paw contact with ice and de-icing chemicals.
• Once inside, wipe off his paws.
• Make sure you inspect his paws after every walk or run.
Also, don't miss this week's pet of the week: Lexus. Meet her at the Seattle Humane Society today.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.