Updated Jul 27, 2013 - 1:22 pm
Rex jokes he won't be coach if Jets draft Clowney
CORTLAND, N.Y. (AP) - Rex Ryan has a prediction: If the New York Jets can draft South Carolina star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, he won't be the coach.
Ryan, considered by many to be in a make-or-break season, delivered a gem when asked Saturday how much of his daily discussions with general manager John Idzik involve looking beyond this season.
"It's safe to say I won't be here if we draft Clowney," a grinning Ryan said. "I can just say that right now. I think I'm going to say that without hesitation."
Clowney is the front-runner to be the No. 1 overall selection in next year's draft. Holding that top pick would likely mean the Jets had a terrible season.
"Shoot, that draft is miles away," a laughing Idzik said. "That's pretty funny, though."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »