Monday, July 6, 2015
- Toddlers and senior citizens play together daily at West Seattle's Intergenerational Learning Center
West Seattle's Intergenerational Learning Center is a preschool that is located inside of an assisted living facility for the elderly. The kids, ages six months to six years, read stories, sing songs, do art and bake cookies with the residents, whose average age is 90. There are about 500 similar facilities across the country.
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
- Get your own, personal superhero action figure made by Bellevue's You Kick Ass
Send a photo of your face to Bellevue's You Kick Ass and they will use a 3D printer to create a superhero action figure with your face on it. Mark Cuban invested $100,000 in the new company on the reality show "Shark Tank."
- Ring My Belle: Why buy toys for your kids when you can rent them
1. A Seattle woman started a business called Rent the Toy Chest, so you can rent toys for your kids, instead of buy them. 2. A northern California women ended up giving birth alone, in a field with no cell service, and to get attention she started a fire that ended up causing a wildfire. 3. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are divorcing but living together to raise the kids. Sort of. 4. In Everett, mannequins have been placed around the downtown to spread awareness about teen homelessness.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
- Edith Macefield's Ballard home could be demolished
The saga of Edith Macefield's 115 year old home continues. Out of 38 bidders, a mother and daughter were chosen, and they planned to open an Edith Macefield themed coffee and pie shop. But the home is too expensive to get up to code, so it will be donated (or demolished) and the land will go up for sale.
- Ring My Belle: Religion is not an excuse not to vaccinate your kids in California
1. The Girl Scouts of WesternWashington were given a very generous $100,000 donation, but they gave it back when the donor said it couldn't be spent on transgender girls. 2. If you have an iPhone, ask siri what zero divided by zero is. 3. California has past a new law requiring nearly all kids be vaccinated if they are attending school. 4. A man was falsely imprisoned, on death row, for 30 years. When he was finally released, he died a year later.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
- Seattle has a high amount of middle-aged fathers
Seattle has a high amount of middle-aged fathers
- Ring My Belle: Seattle has the oldest new dads in the country!
1. Seattle has the oldest new dads in the country! 2. According to a Fidelity survey, 43% of Americans dont know how much money their spouse makes. 3. Whole Foods is being accused of overcharging customers who buy food in bulk. 4. Lego is investing a lot of money to move away from using plastic.
- 'A Taste of Home' tells the story of history + food in Seattle's Chinatown
Two documentarians from Singapore became fascinated with the food and history of Seattle's Chinatown. In their new film, "A Taste of Home" they feature five of the oldest Chinese food establishments in the International District, including the city's oldest Chinese restaurant, 80 year old Tai Tung.
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
- Ring My Belle: Kim Kardashian & Kanye West paid big bucks to guarantee a boy baby
1. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West paid to make sure their new baby is a boy. 2. Google is now giving you a tiny grace period to unsend a message. 3. Teenage boys in England invented a condom that turns colors, depending on which STD it detects. 4. In Alberta, Canada, officials are warning people to stop flushing goldfish. They're growing to be the size of dinner plates.
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
- A local cop designed a manly, durable baby bag for manly, baby toting dads
Local cop, Jeff Shepard, was not a fan of the floral, pastel diaper bags on the market. So he designed his own. Now he sells his Down Range Baby bags, designed by a Lakewood military bag and bulletproof vest manufacturer.
- Ring My Belle: Most local drivers say nothing could incentivize them to carpool
1. Despite the bad traffic, most local drivers say there's nothing that could incentivize them to take public transportation or carpool. 2. Rob Gronkowski has made over $16.3 million playing for the New England Patriots and saved every single penny of it. 3. Food Recovery Network picks up food from restaurants like Canlis, and delivers it to local food banks.
Monday, June 22, 2015
- A Seattle man is throwing a huge retirement party for his service dog
Seattle's Alex Stone is never without his service dog, Fraser. Born with cerebral palsy, Fraser is the only reason Alex was able to live independently in the college dorms and study abroad in South Africa. But it's time for 10 year old Fraser to retire, so Alex is throwing a fundraising bash to raise money for Summit Assistance Dogs, the organization who gave him Fraser.
- Ring My Belle: Converts should end at 11pm! And other rants from an old.
1. Microsoft is requiring all of its workers to do diversity training. 2. Kim Kardashian was a guest on the NPR show was a guest on the NPR radio game show Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! and many upset public radio fans pulled their donations. 3. Concerts should end at 11pm! And other get-off-my-lawns.
Thursday, June 18, 2015
- Anxiety is now the #1 mental health issue plaguing college students
Anxiety is now the most common mental health diagnosis among college students, knocking depression into the number two slot. The American College Health Association says one in six college students have been diagnosed with, or treated for, anxiety within the last year.
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
- A profile of Mother Hildegard: the river rafting, four-letter word blurting nun on Shaw Island
Our Lady of the Rock's Mother Hildegard says it's hard to recruit new, young nuns these days, especially in the famously nonreligious northwest. She talks about why she became a nun and defies stereotypes with her outspoken, adventurous demeanor.