Wednesday, September 9, 2015
- Ring My Belle: Russell Wilson buys a gaudy Bellevue mansion and we pick it apart because we're jealous
1. Russell Wilson buys a gaudy, seven bedroom mansion in Bellevue and we pick it apart because we're jealous. 2. Seattle teachers are striking, but their chants are weak! Rachel Belle comes up with new ones. 3. If you're debating sending a love email or leaving a love voicemail, always put it in writing.
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
- Union Gospel Mission's 118 Designs is turning Seattle gangsters into craftsman
118 Designs is a program for former South Seattle gang members, who are making their first real paychecks by making furniture. The program also offers job training and bible study.
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
- Good Night & Good Luck: Why do radio and TV broadcasters speak in that funny voice?
Everyone knows the broadcast voice: clear, authoritative, accent free, lots of pauses and definitely unnatural. But what's the history behind this strange way of speaking? And where did KIRO TV's Jesse Jones get his signature signoff? We'll discuss these things and more.
Monday, August 31, 2015
- The magical mysteries of breast milk, revealed
Breast milk is the perfect food. It contains all the vitamins and nutrients a baby needs to thrive for the first six months of its life. But mother's milk is not just about eating. As 'The Stranger's' food writer explains, the milk allows mother and baby to silently communicate all kinds of things, through their bodies.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
- Seattle Earthquake scare: how would homebound and homeless people survive?
After that frightening 'New Yorker' article came out, warning us that a big earthquake is bound to destroy the region, many of us started to prepare. But who will help the region's most vulnerable population?
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
- A Black Lives Matter textbook is coming for middle and high schoolers
Trayvon Martin and the Ferguson riots are just a couple of topics that are covered in the new Black Lives Matter text book, coming in January 2016. It was written by an African American college professor and a white journalist who covered Ferguson. The book is intended for grades six through twelve, and is Common core approved.
Wednesday, August 19, 2015
- Why does Than Brothers give you a cream puff with your pho? I'll tell you why!
Ever wonder why Than Brothers gives you that complimentary cream puff at the start of your meal? Other pho restaurants don't provide free dessert. Rachel Belle visited the restaurant's Everett cream puff bakery to make some sense of it all.
Monday, August 17, 2015
- Will the Seahawks defy superstition and wear lime green jerseys this season?
In 2009, the Seahawks wore lime green jerseys when they played, and lost to, the Chicago Bears. Seahawks former coach, Jim Mora, in an act of superstitious devastation, blamed the loss on the jerseys and forbid them from ever being worn again. But this year at training camp, that same lime green came out, leading many to wonder if we'll see that lime green pop on the field this season.
Thursday, August 13, 2015
- Jews, Muslims and Christians from the US and Jerusalem come together at a Seattle summer camp
Kids4Peace summer camp brings Jewish, Muslim and Christian 12 year olds from Washington state together with 12 year old Palestinians and Israelis, from Jerusalem, for 12 days. The goal is encourage discussion that leads to peace.
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
- Cheetos, lunch meat and juice boxes were brought to you by the US military
If you eat processed foods, you're basically eating gussied up military rations. In the new book 'Combat Ready Kitchen: How the U.S. Military Shapes the Way You Eat' we learn how wartime military rations made their way into our supermarkets.
Friday, August 7, 2015
- Ring My Belle: Wanz is back from touring with Macklemore, and working in software
1. Wanz, the deep voice from Macklemore's 'Thrift Shop,' just got a job as a software tester. 2. A female engineer has started a campaign called #ILookLikeAnEngineer. 3. A new study on the difference between how men and women react to breakups.
Thursday, August 6, 2015
- A new book on how to be CEO of a startup, from a serial Seattle entrepreneur
Dan Shapiro launched his first startup 18 years ago, and it failed. But he's learned from his mistakes and has headed four successful startups since then. His new book, 'Hot Seat: The Startup CEO Guidebook' wants to help you skip the failures.
- Ring My Belle: Rachel's Rat: a 3 Day Saga
1. The saga of Rachels' rat problem continues. 2. Alaska Airlines is experimenting with using fingerprint scans instead of boarding passes. 3. Jennifer Aniston got secretly married, and TMZ creepily figured it out. 4. A 2 year old was nearly kidnapped from her own, fenced in backyard this week.
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
- Did the Internet make travel agents extinct?
Now that booking flights and trips online is a breeze, does anyone still use a travel agent? The short answer: yes. And it sounds like they can save you loads of money.
- Ring My Belle: Netflix is giving moms and dads a year of paid family leave
1. Netflix is giving both new moms and new dads an entire year of paid paternity leave. 2. A 19 year old guy has to register as a sex offender for the next 25 years after having sex with a 14 year old girl who lied about her age. 3. Kermit and Miss Piggy broke up! 4. Whole Foods was selling asparagus water!