Local veterans share the stories behind their tattoos Auburn's White River Valley Museum is looking for submissions for their upcoming Service Ink exhibit, photos and stories about the tattoos of local veterans. Here you will meet two of the men whose tattoos will be featured in the exhibit.
Ring My Belle: Gay pizza wedding? 1. An Indiana pizza parlor says they won't serve their pizza at a gay wedding. Because, of course, so many people get pizzas delivered to their reception.
2. In California, the drought is getting extreme. Restaurants are no longer allowed to serve water unless a patron asks for it.
3. An NYPD detective with an anger management problem goes off on an innocent Uber driver, and we think he should be fired.
Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Edith Macefield's Ballard home back up for sale The saga continues. Edith Macefield's house goes up for sale, seven years after she passed away. She left the house to her caretaker, who sold it to a real estate entrepreneur who went bankrupt and the house was recently foreclosed upon. Meanwhile, people from all over the world are writing messages on colorful balloons outside of the house.
Ring My Belle: Women are going to "Tupperware parties for cannabis." 1. Fewer people in Seattle go to Sunday church, but more are going to non-traditional churches.
2. Amazon can now provide you with a goat herder.
3. In San Francisco, women are going to "Tupperware parties for cannabis."
4. Moms: it's quality not quantity when it comes to spending time with your children.
Spend a week as a lighthouse keeper at the tip of Dungeness Spit The Keeper Program is a working vacation: for $350, per person, per week, you can stay out at the super isolated, super beautiful, Dungeness Spit Lighthouse, in the keeper's house. For a week the lighthouse belongs to you. You give yours, mow the lawn, and relish in the peace and tranquility.
Ring My Belle: Why a new TV show about Seattle can't be filmed in Seattle 1. Two Seattle movie directors got a television series greenlighted by a major network, but they can't film it in Seattle because there are no tax incentives for the industry.
2. "Black brunch" is hitting up brunch spots across the country.
3. In Seattle, and Georgia, police stations are letting people meet to safely do their craigslist interactions.
4. Ted Cruz says he started liking country music after 9/11.
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
35 or older? Single? Want kids? Think about freezing your eggs Egg freezing is nothing new. But it has reentered the conversation now that companies like Facebook and Apple are offering to pay up to $20,000 for their female employees to do it. But what is new is the technology. Three years ago Seattle Reproductive Medicine started using new, advanced reproductive technology that ensures that most of the eggs are still in good shape when they're thawed out. Learn how much it costs and if it works.
Ring My Belle: Angelina Jolie removes her ovaries to lower her risk of ovarian cancer 1. An African American Seattle woman, who hadn't heard about Starbuck's "Race Together" campaign, wondered if her barista was being racist when she saw "Race Together" written on her cup.
2. A Seattle city councilman is thinking of creating Neighborhood Conservation Districts, in light of all the new construction happening in the city.
3. Two years after Angelina Jolie removed her breasts, to avoid getting breast cancer, she has removed her ovaries and fallopian tubes.
Monday, March 23, 2015
The Coffinmaker of Vashon Island In 2005, landscaper Marcus Daly watched the Pope's funeral with wonder: his body was being carried in a plain, simple, wooden coffin. This inspired Marcus to eventually open Marian Caskets, and hand build simple, honest pine coffins and carve inscriptions into the wood.
Ring My Belle: What's the Vashon Hum? 1. Starbucks says they're ending Phase One of their Race together campaign after a week.
2. I met a man on Vashon Island who filled me in on the mysterious Vashon hum.
3. A little girl from Lakewood has completed 600 random acts of kindness.
4. When no one RSVP'd to the party invitation of a 13 year old boy with Aspergers, his mom made a public plea that attracted 4,000 birthday texts from strangers.
Ring My Belle: A 104 year old woman says Dr Pepper has kept her alive 1. Seattle's mayor wants to ban smoking in all public parks.
2. More than 400 Washington state foster parents say they’ll no longer care for babies and toddlers if they're required to get a flu shot.
3. Does food TV make you fat?
4. The 104 year old woman who says Dr Pepper has kept her alive.