Ring My Belle: Should you have to love your job in order to keep it? 1. Some Oklahoma politicians are trying to ban AP History because it paints our country in a negative light.
2. Do you need to love your job in order to keep it?
3. Oregon has the country's first bi-sexual governor.
4. Uber is adding a panic button, but only for Chicago customers.
You're Fired! When nice people have mean jobs Sometimes really nice people have really mean jobs. Parking attendants, tax auditors, we assume these people are jerks. But often times they really are perfectly nice people, just trying to do their seemingly villainous job. I spoke with three people whose job is to be the bearer of bad news.
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Local Transgender Community Reacts to Bruce Jenner's Transition Some of the media coverage of Bruce Jenner's announcement to transition from man to woman has not been very kind or graceful. So we spoke with a local trans woman, and a Seattle psychotherapist, about what it means to be trans and how important it is to come out, after years of pretending.
Ring My Belle: An Australian McDonald's is taking reservations for Valentine's Day 1. Starbucks' CEO is getting employees to talk about race.
2. An Australian McDonald's is taking reservations, serving the burgers on real plates and offering table service, candles and flowers.
3. Pablo Picasso's granddaughter is preparing to sell a bunch of his artwork. She was 10,000 pieces and has no sentimental value attached to them.
Thursday, February 12, 2015
Edith Macefield's Ballard house is foreclosed, going up for auction In 2006, Seattle's 84 year old Edith Macefield made international headlines when she refused to sell her Ballard home to developers. They offered her a million dollars, but she refused to budge, so they built a block long, five story shopping center called Ballard Blocks around her little 108 year old house. Now, six years after Edith passed, the house is in disarray, it's owner filed for bankruptcy and the house is going up for auction. No one knows who might buy it or what might be done with it.
Ring My Belle: A Montana lawmaker wants to ban leggings! 1. The Detroit man who walks 21 miles a day, to and from work, had to move to a secret location after he was gifted $350,000 from a GoFundMe campaign.
2. A Montana wants to ban leggings, calling it indecent exposure.
3. New research says that plants know when they're about to be eaten, and they don't like it.
Ring My Belle: Should teenagers be paid less than minimum wage? 1. Parents who haven't vaccinated their children are now having "Measles Parties."
2. A WA senator thinks we should pay teenagers less than the state minimum wage, that way more jobs will open up for them.
3. An editing maniac has made 47,000 correctional edits to Wikipedia, exclusive to one particular phrase.
Ring My Belle: Should professors and students be banned from dating? 1. Harvard has banned sexual and romantic relationships between students and professors. Is it fair to put limits on adults?
2. Some in WA state want new, teen drivers to put a special NEW DRIVER sticker on their car.
3. Frenemies will make you perform better at work.
4. You can now earn a scholarship for being really good at video games.
Beat the winter blues with an indoor beach at Seattle's Hedreen Gallery Two Seattle artists, interested in the idea that we are constantly bombarded with stimuli, created a 10x10 beach-in-a-box to bring some peace and calm to a normally busy day. Individuals can reserve time at the "beach" and spend some alone time on the heated floor, while listening to ocean waves and seagulls.