Wednesday, June 24, 2015
- Ring My Belle: Kim Kardashian & Kanye West paid big bucks to guarantee a boy baby
1. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West paid to make sure their new baby is a boy. 2. Google is now giving you a tiny grace period to unsend a message. 3. Teenage boys in England invented a condom that turns colors, depending on which STD it detects. 4. In Alberta, Canada, officials are warning people to stop flushing goldfish. They're growing to be the size of dinner plates.
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
- A local cop designed a manly, durable baby bag for manly, baby toting dads
Local cop, Jeff Shepard, was not a fan of the floral, pastel diaper bags on the market. So he designed his own. Now he sells his Down Range Baby bags, designed by a Lakewood military bag and bulletproof vest manufacturer.
- Ring My Belle: Most local drivers say nothing could incentivize them to carpool
1. Despite the bad traffic, most local drivers say there's nothing that could incentivize them to take public transportation or carpool. 2. Rob Gronkowski has made over $16.3 million playing for the New England Patriots and saved every single penny of it. 3. Food Recovery Network picks up food from restaurants like Canlis, and delivers it to local food banks.
Monday, June 22, 2015
- A Seattle man is throwing a huge retirement party for his service dog
Seattle's Alex Stone is never without his service dog, Fraser. Born with cerebral palsy, Fraser is the only reason Alex was able to live independently in the college dorms and study abroad in South Africa. But it's time for 10 year old Fraser to retire, so Alex is throwing a fundraising bash to raise money for Summit Assistance Dogs, the organization who gave him Fraser.
- Ring My Belle: Converts should end at 11pm! And other rants from an old.
1. Microsoft is requiring all of its workers to do diversity training. 2. Kim Kardashian was a guest on the NPR show was a guest on the NPR radio game show Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! and many upset public radio fans pulled their donations. 3. Concerts should end at 11pm! And other get-off-my-lawns.
Thursday, June 18, 2015
- Anxiety is now the #1 mental health issue plaguing college students
Anxiety is now the most common mental health diagnosis among college students, knocking depression into the number two slot. The American College Health Association says one in six college students have been diagnosed with, or treated for, anxiety within the last year.
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
- A profile of Mother Hildegard: the river rafting, four-letter word blurting nun on Shaw Island
Our Lady of the Rock's Mother Hildegard says it's hard to recruit new, young nuns these days, especially in the famously nonreligious northwest. She talks about why she became a nun and defies stereotypes with her outspoken, adventurous demeanor.
- Ring My Belle: Watching cat videos does make you happier, says science
1. The WA state government is threatening a shut down at the end of June, and it would impact the care of some disabled people who receive 24/7 care. 2. There might be two ferry fee increases this year. 3. New research says watching cat videos online might actually make you happier and less stressed.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
- Prayer and Work: the life of a Benedictine nun on Shaw Island
On Shaw Island, the smallest and least populated San Juan Island reached by ferry, is Our Lady of the Rock, a monastery and self-sustaining farm. It's home to seven Benedictine nuns who wear the traditional, long black and white habit and spend much of their days tending to their 300 acres, raising animals and praying.
- Ring My Belle: Meet the gay bears who run www.jebbushforpresident.com
1. Pope Francis says most climate change is due to human activity and calls it one of the most important moral issues facing society. 2. The University of Puget sound no longer requires students to take the SAT or the ACT, they just want to see grades. 3. Jebbushforpresident.com is run by a couple f gay bears trying to promote equality.
Monday, June 15, 2015
- An ex-con on how intelligence and street smarts equal a successful prison escape
More than 800 law enforcement officers around the country continue to search for 48 year old Richard Matt and 35 year old David Sweat, two convicted murderers who escaped from an upstate New York prison on June 6th. Larry Lawton was the biggest robber in the United States and the ex-con says intelligence, street smarts, help from the inside and lots of free time are the perfect storm for a successful escape.
Sunday, June 14, 2015
- Ring My Belle Weekends 6-14-15
Ring My Belle Weekends 6-14-15
Friday, June 12, 2015
- Should we get more time with our kids?
Virgin is offering some more leave for parents
Thursday, June 11, 2015
- Ring My Belle: Why Exercising Is a Higher Priority Than My Career
1. The #1 place Bay Area techies are moving is Seattle, more specifically, West Seattle. 2. Actress Zoe Saldana says her husband took her last name & he can still be masculine. 3. An entrepreneur wrote a piece for Time magazine called: Why Exercising Is a Higher Priority Than My Career.
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
- Find a hike, or help build a trail, with the Washington Trails Assocation
Fifty-six percent of Washingtonians hike, but most hikers probably don't know that many of the state's trails are maintained by volunteers. Last year, 3,600 WTA volunteers did 124,000 hours of work on federal, state and local trails. WTA also has a killer website, perfect for finding your ideal summer hike.