Updated Jul 21, 2013 - 8:05 am
Serena Williams wins Swedish Open
BASTAD, Sweden (AP) - Serena Williams won her 53rd WTA title by beating Johanna Larsson 6-4, 6-1 in the final of the Swedish Open on Sunday.
The 24-year-old Swede broke to lead 3-1 in the first set before Williams fought back to 3-3. Larsson advanced to 4-3 before caving in to the American's strong serve and losing the next three games.
Williams dominated the second set, breaking Larsson's serve twice.
"It was really good to come here and win after a disappointing Wimbledon so hopefully this confidence will help me for the rest of the year," said Williams, who lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon to Sabine Lisicki.
Larsson said "at the crucial points I wasn't really present, which was a shame."
Williams also defeated 76th-ranked Larsson in their only previous match in the Fed Cup earlier this year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Hawk Talk: Live Seahawks chat with Danny O'Neil
- Michael Bennett: 'Why would I ever want to leave?'
- Report: Seahawks to re-sign Anthony McCoy
- Seahawks' Luke Willson agrees to go to high school prom
- Seahawks keep Michael Bennett with four-year deal
- Report: Seahawks favorites for Michael Bennett
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- M's reportedly interested in White Sox OF Viciedo
- Will Miller or Franklin be the M's starting shortstop?
- Mariners' pitchers have a new focus under Waits
- ESPN's Kurkjian: Corey Hart 'crucial' for M's offense
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- More Seattle Mariners »