Updated Jul 21, 2013 - 8:05 am
Serena Williams wins Swedish Open
BASTAD, Sweden (AP) - Serena Williams won her 53rd WTA title by beating Johanna Larsson 6-4, 6-1 in the final of the Swedish Open on Sunday.
The 24-year-old Swede broke to lead 3-1 in the first set before Williams fought back to 3-3. Larsson advanced to 4-3 before caving in to the American's strong serve and losing the next three games.
Williams dominated the second set, breaking Larsson's serve twice.
"It was really good to come here and win after a disappointing Wimbledon so hopefully this confidence will help me for the rest of the year," said Williams, who lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon to Sabine Lisicki.
Larsson said "at the crucial points I wasn't really present, which was a shame."
Williams also defeated 76th-ranked Larsson in their only previous match in the Fed Cup earlier this year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- M's Chris Young has put shoulder issues behind him
- Could beards be the reason fans aren't connecting to the Mariners?
- Mariners notebook: Disappointing weekend for offense
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Bruce Irvin
- Report: Woman transported from Kaepernick's hotel
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick responds to reports of 'suspicious incident'
- More Seattle Seahawks »