Seattle YWCA hosts all-female ‘Captain Marvel’ screening to celebrate Women’s Day
In celebration of International Women’s Day, YWCA Seattle is hosting an all-female screening of “Captain Marvel” Friday.
The screening will be focused on bringing in local high school girls and women. A panel of prominent women leaders will also be on hand before the movie to discuss “women’s empowerment and their aspirations for the future.”
Speaking on the panel will be:
- Melissa Beard, Senior Firefighter, Snohomish County Fire District 1
- Detective Julie Govantes, Property Crimes, Edmonds Police Department
- Shaunta Hyde, Managing Director, Community Relations at Alaska Airlines
- Lynne Varner, Associate Vice Chancellor, Marketing, Strategy & Community Engagement, Washington State University
- Teresa Wippel, Publisher, My Neighborhood News Network
Also organized by the event’s facilitator was an International Women’s Day “lunch and learn” event in Edmonds that took place in the early afternoon Friday.
Ahead of the film’s release, the Captain Marvel Challenge sought to raise money to allow tens of thousands of young women to see it in theaters on its opening weekend. The campaign raised over $60,000 nationwide.