8th journalist reported killed in Haiti so far this year
Nov 8, 2022, 6:42 PM | Updated: Nov 9, 2022, 9:29 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — An eighth journalist has been killed in Haiti this year, the Inter American Press Association said Wednesday.
Fritz Dorilas, who worked for Radio Télé Megastar, was gunned down near his home in the capital of Port-au-Prince on Nov. 5, according to local media.
“We continue to deplore crimes against journalists this bloody year in our region,” said Carlos Jornet, the association’s president for the commission of press freedom and information.
Dorilas was killed in the community of Tabarre, which has seen an escalation of gang warfare.
Online journalist Romelo Vilsaint died on Oct. 30 when a tear gas canister hit him in the head during an incident in which witnesses said police threw tear gas and opened fire on a group of journalists demanding the release of a colleague.
Also last month, authorities found the body of slain radio journalist Garry Tess and reported that Roberson Alphonse, a reporter for Le Nouvelliste newspaper, survived a murder attempt.
Alphone underwent several surgeries in Haiti and was then flown to the U.S., where he is recovering, according to Frantz Duval, the newspaper’s chief editor.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.