14 people, including workers renovating Yale building, hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning

Jan 17, 2024, 1:09 PM | Updated: 1:50 pm

Fourteen people, including nine construction workers who were renovating a Yale University-owned building, were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning on Wednesday.

One of the workers was found lying unconscious outside of the building, which is a couple of blocks from Yale’s New Haven campus, and was taken to a hospital’s hyperbaric chamber in Brooklyn, New York, where he was in critical condition, said Rick Fontana, New Haven’s emergency operations director. He said another worker was also in “pretty serious condition” but was uncertain where he was taken.

Of the 14 people who were hospitalized, nine were construction workers and five were Yale employees, said a spokesperson for Mayor Justin Elicker.

Emergency crews initially thought they were responding to a “regular medical call” early Wednesday when they brought the unconscious man to the hospital, Fontana said. However, an hour-and-a-half later, the hospital informed them that the worker had extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in his bloodstream.

Crews then returned to the location and found 13 people at the building with elevated carbon monoxide levels and complaining of headaches. It was later determined that they had been using a propane-fueled saw to cut concrete. Even though they were venting it, Fontana said the fumes were not exiting the building.

“That carbon monoxide, it’s not like you could smell it or see it or feel it,” he said. “Everybody thought that it was being vented properly until we were notified of this group of people.”

Fontana said a typical home carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm when it detects 35 parts per million. In this situation, there were 350 parts per million, or 10 times the permissible level.

“There was a disaster averted here,” he said. “You could have had a lot more sick or a lot more death had this gone on for a longer period of time.”

Inhaling carbon monoxide fumes hinders the body from properly using oxygen and can harm organs, including the heart and brain.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident. A Yale spokesperson didn’t immediately reply to a message seeking comment.


This story was updated to correct that only nine of the 14 people who were hospitalized are construction workers. The other five are Yale employees.

National News

FILE - U.S. Army Gen. Daniel Hokanson, chief of the National Guard Bureau, speaks during a media br...

Associated Press

Nominations for National Guard leaders languish, triggering concerns as top officers retire

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top four officers of the National Guard Bureau have left or are set to retire in about two weeks, and to date no nominations for their replacements have been confirmed by the Senate, leaving the bureau, the Air Guard and the Army Guard without permanent leadership as they head into a […]

5 minutes ago

Associated Press

Rapper Sean Kingston and his mother indicted on federal charges in $1M fraud scheme

MIAMI (AP) — Rapper and singer Sean Kingston and his mother have been indicted in South Florida on federal charges of committing more than $1 million worth of fraud. Kingston, 34, and his mother, 61-year-old Janice Turner, made their first appearances Friday in federal court, according to court records. A Miami grand jury returned an […]

22 minutes ago

Associated Press

A voter ID initiative gets approval to appear on the November ballot in Nevada

RENO, Nev. (AP) — A proposed constitutional amendment that would require voters to show photo identification at the polls has qualified for the November ballot in Nevada, the state’s top election official announced Friday. The measure also calls for an extra layer of identification verification for mail ballots, such as the last four digits of […]

25 minutes ago

FILE - Peter Green surveys the wreckage of an oceanfront home in Bay Head N.J. on Oct. 31, 2012, tw...

Associated Press

Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects

LONG BRANCH, N.J. (AP) — A 2% surcharge on property insurance policies, mandatory fees on the oil and gas industries, and holding a public referendum are ways a public-private group formed in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy recommends to pay for projects to protect New Jersey from the next big storm. In a report released […]

35 minutes ago

FILE - Montana Attorney General Austin Knudsen, left, testifies during a House Committee on Homelan...

Associated Press

Montana attorney general didn’t violate campaign finance rules, elections enforcer says

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Montana’s elections enforcer said he found no evidence that the state’s attorney general violated campaign finance rules by inviting another Republican to run against him so he could raise more money for his reelection campaign. Sheila Hogan, executive director of the Montana Democratic Party, filed complaints against Attorney General Austin Knudsen […]

53 minutes ago

FILE - This 2002 electron microscope image made available by the Centers for Disease Control and Pr...

Associated Press

Two deaths linked to listeria food poisoning from meat sliced at deli counters

At least two people have died and more than two dozen were hospitalized in an outbreak of listeria food poisoning linked to meat sliced at grocery store deli counters, federal health officials said Friday. At least 28 people in a dozen states have gotten sick, though the largest number, seven, were in New York, according […]

1 hour ago

14 people, including workers renovating Yale building, hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning