An argument for easing concealed carry laws

Oct 9, 2016, 8:03 AM | Updated: 8:04 am

Concealed carry laws, guns...

Maybe it's time to loosen those concealed carry laws in some states. That's what John Lott would argue, anyhow. (AP)


If you’re at all familiar with gun rights issues, than John Lott needs no introduction.

Lott, who recently wrote “The War on Guns: Arming Yourself Against Gun Control Lies,” argues that the more costly you make something, the less of it people will buy. The same, he says, goes for gun violence.

“If you make it more costly for criminals to go and commit crimes, you reduce the amount of crime,” he says. Crimes, he adds, can be made more costly with higher arrest rates, longer prison sentences, and making it easier for people to defend themselves.

Dave: If all else fails, make soda a controlled substance

That’s the theory, anyway. But Lott actually found the data to back it up. His original study looked at all counties in the US over 25 years. What he found was that states that allow people to conceal carry handguns have fewer violent crimes.

He says there’s been about four dozen peer-review studies since then and about 70 percent found that crime rates do fall if people carry guns for protection. The other approximately 30 percent, he says, say there’s no effect.

Part of the problem, Lott says, is that conceal carry permits are too expensive. A $500 permit might be possible for some, but not those who he says really need the protection.

“It’s basically a racist policy,” he says.

Areas with the highest fees see fewer minorities buying the permits.

“And they’re the ones who need the protection,” Lott says. “I’m glad wealthy white people in the suburbs can afford $500 to get a permit, but they’re not the ones in danger and in need of protection.”

There have been several cases where a person legally carrying a concealed gun has saved people. Take the case of the Uber driver in Chicago as an example. A man had opened fire at a group of people near the driver. The Uber driver returned fire, wounding him. The state’s attorney said many people were saved because of his actions.

Lott says Washington state is actually a model for other states to consider. A pistol license only costs $36.

Dave Ross on KIRO Newsradio 97.3 FM
  • listen to dave rossTune in to KIRO Newsradio weekdays at 5am for Dave Ross on Seattle's Morning News.

Dave's Commentary

Dave Ross

Palestinians flee to northern Gaza as Israeli tanks block the Salah al-Din road in the central Gaza...

Dave Ross

Ross: When deterrence doesn’t work with the Gaza War

Beyond the debate over morality, the Gaza War is teaching us how a conflict between two groups can rip away the veneer of civilization.

6 days ago

Swimmers take part in the annual Sydney Skinny....

Dave Ross

Ross: Beaches in the buff don’t scream ‘Seattle’

It's not necessarily lewd to go naked. It's just that this is Seattle, not Brazil. The climate here doesn't exactly scream "nude."

10 days ago

FILE - Former President Donald Trump waits to take the witness stand during his civil fraud trial a...

Dave Ross

Ross: Turning the Constitution on itself

In a hearing before the DC Court of Appeals, Donald Trump’s attorney argued that the First Amendment protects his political speech and that the gag order against him in the election tampering case is unconstitutional.

11 days ago

Image: Washington Louis sorts through cans of food at the LifeNet4Families community-based food pan...

Dave Ross

Ross: Helping the hungry comes with gratitude that goes both ways

Last week a group of us from KIRO Radio – Management, Sales, and On-Air staff – volunteered at the White Center Food Bank.

13 days ago

Sen. Markwayne Mullin. (Getty Images)...

Dave Ross

Ross: Politics is war by other means

We all know that bullies are a problem. It’s bad enough in the classroom, but it’s really bad when that attitude persists into adulthood and plays out among people in important positions.

16 days ago

Nurse patient...

Dave Ross

Ross: Artificial Intelligence bringing a non-human approach to health care

I'm at the age where after a doctor’s visit I’ll get a form letter basically saying -- we just paid one of your medical bills, please prove it's legitimate.

18 days ago

An argument for easing concealed carry laws