FELIKS BANEL -- NORTHWEST HISTORIAN HEARD ON SEATTLE'S MORNING NEWS

MyNorthwest History

A vintage USGS map shows the location of Cedar Mountain (yellow marker) and Franklin (white circle). (USGS Archives) Robin Adams examines a concrete footing from infrastructure that once supported the Cedar Mountain Mine. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) Moss covered metal at Belmondo Reach Natural Area is one of many artifacts visible from the old Cedar Mountain townsite and mine. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) 
A shear wall of sandstone is visible across the Cedar River from Belmondo Reach Natural Area. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) The mine hoist, which move men, tools and coal from deep inside the mine, once sat on this huge concrete footing. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) A slag heap of coal and other waste from the Cedar Mountain Mine, visible from Belmondo Reach Natural Area. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) The Cedar River at Belmondo Reach Natural Area. (Feliks Banel/KIRO Newsradio) Cedar Mountain, as the mining town appeared in 1889. (Courtesy Renton History Museum, 1966.091.0534)
Mystery stretches from Cedar River ghost town to “Boys in the Boat”