MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Seattle mayor bumps transportation levy up $30M

May 6, 2015, 12:17 PM | Updated: 1:45 pm

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray has revised his transportation plan with more emphasis on neighborhood safety.

Alongside, Seattle City Councilmembers Tom Rasmussen and Mike O’Brien and Seattle Department of Transportation Director Scott Kubly, the mayor explained that his nine-year Transportation Levy to Move Seattle increased from $900 million to $930 million.

Murray said the cost to taxpayers ($275 annually for the owner of a median valued home) wouldn’t change with the added $30 million because it’ll be generated by taxes from new construction.

“This levy reflects the needs of our communities and improves the day-to-day realities of getting around our city,” said Mayor Murray. “Over the past several weeks, the people of Seattle told us that safety is the top priority. We will invest more in transit reliability and access, improved connections to light rail, and making it safer for people of all ages to walk in Seattle.”

After reviewing an online survey and feedback from a series of community meetups, the mayor said an additional $100 million (an increase of $35 million from the initial proposal) will go to build new sidewalks in high-demand areas and pilot alternative street designs that make walking safer.

There’s also more funding for neighborhood priority projects that focus on safety and connectivity.

“The proposed package reflects the priorities and projects that I have heard are important to our neighborhoods including the Lander Street overpass for the SODO area and the Fauntleroy Way improvement project, which is an important part of the neighborhood plan and which is designed and ready for construction,” stated Councilmember Tom Rasmussen, Chair of the City Council Transportation Committee.

Murray will submit the proposal to the City Council next week. The council will have to submit the proposal to King County by early August for it to be on the ballot in November.

MyNorthwest News

missing kent wsp 11 days...

Frank Sumrall

WSP issues Endangered Missing Person Alert for Kent man who’s been missing for 11 days

A 35-year-old man from Kent has been missing for 11 days, causing Washington State Patrol to activate a statewide Endangered Missing Person Advisory.

1 hour ago

tacoma homicide...

James Lynch

Third suspect arrested in Aug. 7 homicide in Tacoma

The Tacoma Police Department arrested a third suspect in connection with a deadly shooting earlier this month in the city’s North End.

1 hour ago

Katie Wilson (5)...

Brooke Griffin, KIRO 7 News

‘It is a high bar’: Inside the petition to recall Mayor Katie Wilson

A judge is set to hear a recall petition against Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson.

2 hours ago

seattle fremont brewery...

Jason Sutich

A 121-year-old Fremont landmark gets new life as Seattle brewery moves in with 3 concepts

The Theo Chocolate building in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood is headed toward a major revamp as the owners have signed on three new food-and-beverage tenants.

3 hours ago

whatcom bear attack...

MyNorthwest Staff

Horseback rider discovers ‘cut up’ hiker after bear attack on Whatcom County trail

A female hiker is now recovering after being chased by a black bear along a trail north of Lake Whatcom in Whatcom County on Saturday.

3 hours ago

SR 99 snohomish county wsdot...

MyNorthwest Staff

WSDOT proposes $800M transformation of SR 99 corridor in Snohomish County

The Washington Department of Transportation proposed several improvements to a stretch of SR 99 — a seven mile corridor from Lynnwood toward Everett.

3 hours ago

Seattle mayor bumps transportation levy up $30M