MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Seattle Mayor Durkan halts streetcar expansion as costs surge

Mar 30, 2018, 4:10 PM | Updated: 4:26 pm

Seattle streetcar, seattle streetcars...

(SDOT)

(SDOT)

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan “put the brakes” on the Center City Connector project that would connect the city’s two streetcar lines. Costs for the project appear to have grown beyond estimates, again.

RELATED: Seattle considers transit-only lanes for streetcars

“The City of Seattle has a critical obligation to spend taxpayer dollars wisely and an equal obligation to transparency,” Mayor Durkan said. “There are too many questions about the true costs of this project and the risks to taxpayers, which is why we must put the brakes on this project. As your new mayor, I will continue to scrub our budgets and act to protect taxpayers.”

Seattle has worked to connect two separate stretches of streetcar tracks through its downtown. One line moves through South Lake Union, and another serves First Hill and Capitol Hill. Officials have long aimed to tie these two lines together to make one streetcar route through Seattle’s core.

But costs may be higher than expected, prompting the mayor to issue an executive order Friday. All work on the project will cease, except for projects involving seismically vulnerable water mains.

The Seattle Times reports that the project initially was estimated to cost $150 million. That was updated to $177 million. The latest estimate came in at more than $200 million — a $23 million shortfall.

The news comes shortly after King County Metro claimed that the Seattle Department of Transportation low-balled the costs to operate the streetcar.

Streetcar project

Durkan ordered an independent technical review of the connector project’s costs last week. According to the mayor’s office, “it was discovered that the proposed project also could face a significant capital shortfall. As a result, the city also has initiated an independent investigation with the city attorney of the project’s management to date. The city also continues to communicate closely with federal partners on the project.”

“I have serious concerns about the recent revelations regarding anticipated operating and capital costs for the Center City Connector, and I agree with Mayor Durkan that work on this project should be halted immediately,” said Councilmember and Transportation Committee Chair Mike O’Brien.

Councilmember Sally Bagshaw also commented Friday, saying that the city should have transparency in how it spends money on public projects.

“I remain concerned about potential unsustainable operations shortfalls, which could be millions annually, even under the most optimistic ridership and farebox recovery scenarios,” Councilmember Lisa Herbold said.

MyNorthwest News

bass canyon seattle drug dies...

Jason Sutich

Seattle man arrested at Bass Canyon after festivalgoer dies from suspected drug poisoning

A 28-year-old Seattle man was arrested at The Gorge Amphitheater on Sunday after a 27-year-old Olympia man died from suspected drug poisoning.

14 minutes ago

whatcom black bear hiker...

MyNorthwest Staff

Hiker, dog chased by black bear on trail near Lake Whatcom

A black bear chased a hiker and her dog along a trail north of Lake Whatcom in Whatcom County on Saturday.

39 minutes ago

Seattle farmers market pike place...

Jason Sutich

Two Seattle farmers’ markets ranked in top 5 out of 1,500 U.S. markets

Two Seattle farmers' markets were ranked in the top 10 in the country after a Holidu study evaluated more than 1,500 markets across the U.S.

2 hours ago

seattle restaurants...

Julia Dallas

These were the most booked Seattle restaurants in the height of summer

As summer winds down, OpenTable took a look back at the most booked restaurants in July.

2 hours ago

Flock Safety license plate reader...

KIRO Newsradio staff

Surveillance camera critics rally in Seattle as company tightens safeguards

Flock Safety is tightening safeguards as opponents rally against surveillance cameras in King County on Monday.

3 hours ago

missing baby vancouver...

Frank Sumrall

Amber Alert issued for 7-month-old baby missing from Vancouver, WSP seeking 37-year-old suspect

A 7-month-old baby was reported missing Sunday morning in Vancouver, the Washington State Patrol (WSP) reported.

3 hours ago

Seattle Mayor Durkan halts streetcar expansion as costs surge